As the garage door is one of the most frequently used features on the exterior of a home, it’s important to keep yours in top working condition. Here are the top preventative garage door measures for the least amount of maintenance in the long run.
Check Your Garage’s Hardware
Test the Balance of Your Garage
To properly test the balance of your garage:
- First, disconnect your garage from the garage door opener.
- Once the door is disconnected, open and close your garage door manually. A balanced door should be able to move smoothly without any hindrance.
- If your garage door sticks, you can lubricate the door and then try again.
- If your garage door continues to stick, it’s likely unbalanced.
Call a professional garage door maintenance service to properly re-balance your garage door and prevent any injuries.
Try the Auto Reverse Feature
A correctly working garage door should have an auto reverse feature that springs into action if something is in the garage door’s way. To test the auto reverse feature, we recommend placing a 2×4 under the door. When the garage door hits the 2×4, the door should reverse directions. This is an important safety measure with which your garage door should be equipped.
Call the Professionals!
At Motor City Door, our professional garage door maintenance experts can do the preventative garage door maintenance for you. Our maintenance services include:
- Inspection, tightening, lubrication and/or adjustment of all sections
- Inspection of hinges, hardware, cables, drums, track and track fasteners
- Tightening/inspection of springs
- And much more!
Preventative measures can extend the life of your garage door by many years and keep it working in top condition. Contact Motor City Door today at (586) 501-5874 for a free estimate.